Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Three and a half years later and I still don't know...

Back in the summer of 2007 I graduated with my bachelors in English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Very impressive and surprising right? As I have stated before, I never thought of getting my masters degree in anything and being the first in my family to obtain a degree I honestly thought I was done. I've done what others in my family have not and I've set an example. I made my parents proud and I for a moment I was proud of myself as well.

A year later I got a good state job at CSU, San Bernardino in the Public Administration office and then in less than two years I was promoted in that same department. While I love my job and I'm good at my job I feel that I need more. My classes are paid for here at CSUSB. All I really need to pay for are my textbooks so since I have this wonderful opportunity I should just get my master's degree, right?

I have been torn though, I feel that I just need to "Man Up" and make a decision already!

At first I was thinking I would get my MFA, Masters in Fine Arts with a concentration in Creative Writing. What am I going to do with this degree? Honestly. Nothing. One of my goals in life is to be published but I don't need a degree to have my work published. I just need to push myself, work hard and be dedicated with my work. So why waste another two years on a "fun" degree when I can get something that will help me.

Now, for some background on what I do at my job. I help MPA students get their degree. I advise them, mentor them, and guide them through the program. I help the professors and I manage the department. All the professors ask me from time to time why I'm not getting my MPA...I never have a good answer for them. The reason I have stayed away is because, I think it might be too hard. In any master's program students must maintain a 3.0 GPA, I'm terrified that I will not be able to do that and I will let myself down. I'm terrified because I will be showing a whole new side of myself to my co-workers/professors. How smart I really am not...

I feel that enough is enough though, I need to just grow up and do something that will mean something in my life. A masters degree in Public Administration will do just that, at least I think so. This time around I will be the first in my family to go after a master's degree and so I want to make the right choice, I don't want to fail. I have already reached out to a few professors and have asked for their advice, I've even asked a few MPA alumni and current students what they think about the program and the work load.

Talking to Mr. Husband he feels that it would be best for me to go after the MPA. He says that he will support me, he knows that I will succeed and doing something hard will make me grow. Mr. Husband is so smart and so right.

In addition to a masters degree I also want to be certified/fluent in ASL (American Sign Language). Three and a half years ago I took  a course and I fell in love with it, since then I kept saying that I will take more classes, have I? No. So, this will be something else that I will want to accomplish soon enough.

I have so much thinking to do and the clock is ticking... you're thoughts are very much appreciated and so if you want to offer up some advice please do. I'm more than happy to listen and take it all in.

Hard at work during a work event, always working with a smile

No comments:

Post a Comment