Friday, January 07, 2011

People Think I'm Pretty? REALLY?!?!?!

“You’re so pretty!”

These are words I never expect anyone to tell me. Why? Well I don’t think I’m pretty. I’ve never seen myself as a pretty girl. When I was younger I was always the one chasing not being chased. Guys never asked me out in high school and the one year I was single in college I really didn’t get any attention. When I would get some attention it would be because my best friend at the time would make me chaperon her dates. The guys would then get to know me and would then somehow be interested in me. How I saw it, it wasn’t because of my looks but because of my personality. That’s what I think gets guys attention. I’m sweet, nice, loving, smart, witty and I know how to take a joke.

Yesterday at work I was told that I’m always looked at. That I’m seen as eye candy to the men that I work with, now when I was told this I just laughed! Me? Eye candy? What curl joke are they trying to play on me? I dress preppy, conservative and try to always cover up but I guess there are times that I am busting out when I don’t intend for that to happen. I guess it’s true but no one ever makes it obvious because I don’t notice it.

Then one of the student assistants came in to have me sign off on paperwork and hung out in the office. I for one think that it’s because she has a crush on my assistant. Well yesterday she said she loves coming into our office because it’s always so welcoming and cheerful. Then she said, “Plus I like Chuck and you’re so pretty!” That took me off guard. I was sure I misunderstood but she ran out of the office back to the second floor before I had a chance to say anything. I then asked Chuck (my assistant) what she said and he looked at me serious “She said YOU’RE SO PRETTY he even made it a point to point right at me (as if there is anyone else in the office). Needless to say I was in shock all day and still am.

I’m pretty? People think I’m pretty? There are beautiful girls that think I’m pretty? Really? When did this happen? Why can’t I see it? I thought that maybe I’m cute but pretty? Eek, that just seems too much for me to even think as a reality. I’ve always heard “oh you would be so pretty if…” and so because I could never change that IF I always thought okay I’m not. Yet, now I’m starting to think that maybe, just maybe I am… I need to look at myself in the mirror and just say “Debbie, you’re pretty” and I need to believe it. One day I will…


4 comments:

  1. It's funny because i thought the same thing about myself. actually i still do. i always felt as if i needed a little extra makeup to make myself look decently pretty. but my husband has always told me that i have a natural beauty and i always thought he was full of it. he's just trying to be a nice. lol
    I think many women feel this way Debbs. except for those extremely conceited girls.

    -Kathy E.
    we always look at our flaws physically before we look at anything else. and that always gets in the way of realizing our beauty. you are pretty Debbie. so go look in that mirror and say "I AM pretty" =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy: thank you for reading and commenting! I love seeing that! :)

    Same here. Husband always tells me I'm beautiful but I always tell him that he has to say that because he's my husband. Thank you for the sweet words.

    I have always thought you're so pretty too! I guess we all are pretty/beautiful in our own way. We just need to let ourselves see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Debbie.
    I'm enjoying reading your blogs! so keep them coming. and continue posting on fb the links to it, so that i know every time you write something new.
    =D

    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kathy! I'll make sure to post them on FB every time from now on!

    ReplyDelete