Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Today is my last...


Yesterday I woke up wondering what I would do without facebook.
How my life would be without
Facebook...

I talked to my friend who deleted her account a few weeks ago. No warning from her. I thought she may have deleted me but it turned out that she just deleted the account. She felt that she was spending too much time on Facebook and just needed to regain control of her life.
How is she handling it?
Just like anything it's hard to give up something that you enjoy and are addicted to but after a little while you get use to not having that something in your life. She says that she feels as though she has so much more free time and she has gotten so much more done without Facebook being in the way.

Today is my last day that I will be logging on to Facebook. I don't plan to delete it but I did disable a lot of things on it. I won't be checking it and if people want to get in contact with me, if they want to me to know something well then they can call me, text me, email me or even meet up with me! I know for some that is hard to grasp.

Why?

I have been thinking how our generation is obsessed with social networking. We hardly ever make time to meet with people in person and when we do... there isn't much to talk about because everything is and was broadcasted on Facebook, twitter, etc.
I tried to remember how life was without MySpace (I deleted that long ago but it did come first) or Facebook but I wasn't remembering clearly. Yes, Facebook is a good thing if you're not addicted to it, if it does not take up your time and if you're not checking it all the time to see what people are doing.

I like that I am able to watch my friends' kids grow day by day. I like that my family can be in contact with me and see what I'm up to when I don't see them very often and I like that you are able to reconnect with old friends (that you actually want to reconnect with).
What I don't like is the drama!

Sometimes you type something and people take it the wrong way. You don't mean anything by it but they took it as though you did and so you're an awful person for that. There is nothing you can do about it either but you are left with this awful feeling that your hurt someone when you didn't mean to and you weren't trying to and...
THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO CHANGE THAT. SORRY IS NOT ENOUGH.
But...
it's on Facebook, the world has read it, they have passed judgment and you're an awful person.
This has happened to me many times! I'm blunt and I get annoyed easily and so people take me the wrong way. Well, I don't want to have to walk on eggshells and worry about what people think when in reality they're not that important in my life and I'm not important in their life either.
Oh I use to go to grade school with you, you found me and now you want to pick a fight with me over the internet? Oh you knew my husband in high school and you know some of my close friends and now you feel that because of that you too are my friend?
Really? No, thank you.

I know that seems harsh but I just need to get away from that drama. I'm a sensitive person and a very emotional person and nonsense like that does take a lot out of me. At this point in my life I don't need that. Needless to say, when I do go back to Facebook I will be removing more people that I just don't need in my internet life. I'm a pretty public person, an open book and there are some people that just don't need to know everything about my life because I've learned that they don't really care. They're just nosey and like to gossip, not that there is much to gossip about me. I'm pretty much a goodie-goodie.

I will miss a few things,
  • The pictures people post
  • The links people share, sometimes people share some really interesting things
  • The funny stories people post
  • The advice you can get from different people but just asking
I will miss that and more but I will take this time to grow in different aspects in my life.
I plan to:

1. Lean to deal with my anger and not let the little things bother me
2. I will work on my writing, blog
3. I will work on my so called art
4. I will go back to my love of reading, last night I started to read the Bible again
5. I will meet up with friends more
6. I will learn what and who matters
7. I will be open to so much more and do more

You might think that Facebook doesn't take that much time out of your life. Maybe it doesn't and I for one think that it doesn't but I want to see if it does. This is like a test for me. What will my life be without Facebook?
I'll make sure to document it so that my fellow Facebook users will know. Last night I even deleted my Facebook app on my phone and now it begins tomorrow...
a life without Facebook...
I wonder if I will be missed...

8 comments:

  1. I love that u started to read the bible again :) as u know I have a Facebook but honestly I rarely use it :) but I can see that it can be time consuming. Hope we can continue to go out once in a while even if it's just to Target :) love ya sis. We should get together and have a "so called art day" u, the girls and me :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well one of my life goals is to read the Bible as a whole so I hope to get close by the end of this year.

    Yeah Target is always fun and a "so called art day" with the girls sounds like fun!! It can take place in my backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've thought this all before.

    It's unfortunate that communication in the modern day has been broken down to text, FB, emails and chatting. Without FB, people rarely actually make a PHONE call anymore. It's all done with text. I am curious to see your endeavor unfold. I am also curious to see how many more people will actually take time to call (not text!) and plan outings together. Sadly, I suspect the outcome may be disappointing.

    I totally understand everything you feel and express in this entry. It's pathetic that our verbal communication seems to be a chore to many people these days (those that would rather talk through text versus an actual verbal conversation). It's sad and leading towards a possible grim future for human communication.

    Just take a look at the way teens communicate outside of face to face interaction. ALL text. Many teens I've known will have entire conversations through TEXT or through comments on a post on FB. Why not just CALL the person and have that conversation?! If the young people can't speak to one another outside of technology, what is it going to be like for THEIR kids? It's all mind boggling, really.

    I'm just waiting for the day our satellites get taken out by terrorism or an asteroid and the internet and cell communication goes out and everyone panics, craps their pants, and we all have to start licking stamps again.

    Sorry for the lengthy commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m more of an old fashion girl. I still write letters and send out birthday cards. I still call people but a lot of the times hold back because I feel as though I am a bother. I’m as curious as you are to find out how many people will still stay in contact with me now that Facebook will no longer be a part of my life. This morning I thought about checking it but realized that I don’t have the app on my phone anymore. I’m sure I will be disappointed. I will feel out of the loop of things. I will not know what is going on and people will think I’m odd and tell me, “well if you would check your FB then you would have known.”

    Still I won’t lie. I text a lot and I mainly text when I know people are at work or if I’m at work and it will be easier to text then to leave a voicemail and wait for the call back for a simple response as a yes or no.

    Thank you for the long comment. I very much enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. let me know how this goes for you k Debbs. Bcus i too wish i could disconnect from fb for a while. i've done it for a few days but then i get right back on... can't wait to see more of your so called art. i love all your drawings.
    Take care Debbs =)

    -Kathy E

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy: oh my! Just now when I was going to go to blogger I typed in Facebook instead! EEK! But I didn't log in so HA! :)
    For now it's pretty sad. I keep wondering what other are doing... what is going on??? I have no idea and if people don't tell me well either isn't not really important or people simply don't want to share that with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. well if it's something important i know you'll hear about it. stay strong, only good things will come of this. i always find myself wanting to delete people off my friends lists, but ofcourse i worry about the drama it will cause and what not. and then i just feel angry and upset and all these negative emotions when i read their crap they post... idk what to do. i have found that the less i post and the less pictures i load, the less i want to check my profile. so maybe i should really stick to that for now. and also there is so much i wish to share but only worry about others feelings, and them not understanding my wonderful sarcasm lol. oh well we'll see what happens. =)

    -kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy: oh and believe me by deleting people there is always drama but I still delete them because they prove to me that I'm just another number. When I see people have like 200-300 friends on there I'm like reall? All of those people are your friends? Really? Now sometimes there are people that I wasn't able to delete but they annoyed me, I would simply block them from showing up on my way. They never found out and it made me feel better. :)

    YES! My sarcasm isn't understood either! I'm so happy someone understands when it comes to that!
    Best of luck on moving away from FB.

    ReplyDelete