Thursday, April 07, 2011

Where Have I Been?

To be honest. I have no idea why I haven't been keeping up with my blog. Shame on me! I blame it on my new found addiction to Pinterest.

This week I started my ASL 102 course and already I'm learning so much. I can tell this is going to be one of the hardest classes I have taken. My first ASL course, (back in summer 2007) my professor, while she was deaf she had a cochlear implant so she was able to hear us and better communicate with us. There was no need for an interrupter, I learned a lot in that class but I feel that I could have learned so much more if I didn't have that safety net.

This time my ASL professor is deaf, no cochlear implant and we will only have an interrupter for the first day of class. So, it's a do or die. We are not allowed to talk and we are not allowed to write down what we want to communicate. If we don't know a word then we will need to finger spell EVERYTHING. I truly am going to be able to learn so much in this class and I'm so excited about it! I have always wanted to learn ASL fluently and this year I think I will be able to accomplish that! I'm excited that we MUST attend two events and report back on it. I think I'll go to a basketball game for the California School for the Deaf, Riverside and a Starbucks Deaf Meeting in Santa Monica. I will then need to communicate with someone deaf and take a picture, I think I might have Mr. Husband record part of the conversation. This way I will be able to watch myself sign and be able to see where I need to improve.

And yes, I still owe you all a video of simple children signs (MOM, DAD, WATER, MILK, RESTROOM, EAT, SLEEP, I LOVE YOU, PLEASE, SORRY, THANK YOU, HELP ME, ECT). I will work on that this week. Promise. I had started a video and then I just didn't get back to it. Where my time has gone I honestly don't know.

We have been working on the house and I have been planning my birthday dinner with friends. My birthday isn't until July but I love to plan things with a lot of time in advance in case anything happens last minute.

Side note: This past Friday I went in for a check up with my doctor to find out if I'm healthy enough to get pregnant (I like to plan EVERYTHING) and it turns out that yes, I'm perfectly healthy and good to go so whenever Mr. Husband and I are ready, we have the green light. I'm really excited about this, finally the time has come in which Mr. Husband and I have will start out own little family! Wish me luck! Any advice you have please leave in my comments!

2 comments:

  1. That's so awesome! learning ASL fluently. Good luck with that Debbs, i know you'll do great.
    and i'm so excited for you guys. getting ready to start a little family. that's amazing. remember that you can get pregnant right away or it might take a while. but don't let it get you down. Stay strong, and always stay positive. =)
    -Kathy E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurry and make me aunt :) Cant wait to start making cupcake rattles :)

    Good luck with the ASL

    <3 Jeanny

    ReplyDelete