Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Class Dropped

I've been thinking since last week if I was going to stay in my ASL course. 
Yes, I love the course.
Yes, I love the topic. 
Yes, I want to learn.

Yet, there is a huge reason as to why I can't keep at it and so today I withdrew from the quarter. 
Why?

The students there were very disrespectful and extremely rude. 
One of the top rules was that we are to NOT talk during class and yet there are so many students that talk and talk and talk! Okay that's their problem because then they're not learning, right?
There is then students that laugh throughout the course, their problem right?

So why does this bother me. If they're not learning then that's on them and I shouldn't care. 
But I do. 
Why? 
Throughout the course we are going to have to do A LOT of group work. 
Here is the problem. 
When they go up and sign in front of the class they DO NOT sign properly and they want to finger-spell EVERYTHING! 
What's then worse is that they don't understand the signs. 
In other words there is no way to communicate with them if they are not talked to. 
Yes. I can end up learning a lot but my grade will be affected because... 

1. I will NOT be able to understand them 
2. They will not be able to understand me 

Even though I will be signing correctly, the only sign I will keep saying is WHAT? Because I will not be able to understand their made up signs and they unclear signs. 

I'm still going to practice. 
I'm still going to study ASL and I will take the course come September. 

This quarter I will simply work at getting healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment