Tuesday, March 01, 2011

What would you tell yourself at age 14?

I have been looking into the Campaign for Real Beauty by Dove and this was a topic they had on their site. What would you tell you at 14? I found this extremely interesting. Looking back when I was 14 I needed someone to mentor me, I needed someone older and wiser to be there for me. I didn't need yet another friend but I needed someone to truly be there for me. The following is what I would have told me at 14...

Debbie,
I know how you feel, I know what you're going through and what you need to always tell yourself from now on is that this too will pass. No matter how hard life gets, it will pass. All you need to do is keep pushing through it all.

Never forget that yes, you are beautiful, everyone is. At this age and at this point in your life you still have so much more developing to do. You may be skinny and childlike right now but a few years from now you will have amazing curves that people will be jealous of. Those mean girls that pick on you and TRY to ruin your life will never be able to. They are only mean to you because they are truly jealous of you. They don't have any self-respect and see just how respectful you are of yourself and the way that others respect you. They will never have that, and you DO NOT need to ever be like them. Years from now, they will still be doing the same thing and you will be going to college and as always doing something respectful with your life.

Yes, you will be going to college and because of that you need to study more! Every summer take a course at a community college so that you can get a little ahead with college courses. Don't give up and know that when something is hard it is because you're learning and taking in so much from it.  

When it comes to boys, know this; there is no need to have a boyfriend in high school. It may seem so special and magical but half the time they are distractions and only bring problems into your life. When there is a boy that is younger than you and falls for you don't be mean to him. Treat him how you would like to be treated. There will be a boy two years older than you, ignore him and don't give him any time. He will hurt you like no other. In two years you will meet the most amazing boy! He will love you as a friend and you'll wait for him three years before he realizes how deep in love he is for you. Take this time to focus on you because he will always be there for you as a friend.

Get involved in school, write for the high school newspaper, get on the yearbook staff, and never give up on soccer, you'll miss it years later. Enjoy your youth because while it is passing by slow now, when you're an adult it will fly by and life will get hard.

Sincerely,

Debbie at age 26


Me at age 14 with my cousin in Mexico, Grandma's House.

What would you tell YOU at age 14????

No comments:

Post a Comment