Friday, August 12, 2011

"I want you."


Years ago (2006) when 'Stranger Than Fiction' came out I saw it as a joke. It was yet again another dumb comedy with Will Farrell. I was told by many that I should give it a chance, but I wouldn’t cave in. My family watched it and expressed to me just what a great movie it was but still I would not budge.





It wasn’t until late one night in 2007, one of my many sleepless nights in which I was once more thinking of Mr. Husband and missing him. He was currently in Iraq and I had just finished one of our short, quick but beautiful conversations. I couldn’t sleep, as I waited for that moment in which I could finally rest my eyes and as I finished Mr. Husband’s letter for that day 'Stranger than Fiction' began in the background. With nothing else to watch and with my letter complete, I figured the movie would put me to sleep and so I watched.

I was mistaken. I couldn’t be more wrong about this beautiful, breath-taking movie! I cried, no I sobbed at the end. Since then this has been one of my favorite movies and today I got to watch this marvelous movie once more and reminisce.   

Sitting alone I was able to think back as to what caught my attention. It’s obvious why so many people believed that I would love the movie. It was about a writer, it was about a writer writing a book, it was about a writer having writers block and it was about a man who was hearing this writer, write about his life knowing that he was going to die at the end. If that doesn’t scream me I don’t know what does. What people didn’t know that would catch my attention was one single moment, a single line in the movie...

Harold Crick realizes that he has feelings for Anna Pascal and when he finally admits it to himself and allows himself to act on it, he rushes over to her bakery with flours. 

Yes, I meant to write the word flour, as in baking flour. I thought that was one of the sweetest moments ever, romantic and dorky! 

Then the Harold said words that I will never forget because they’re words that were once uttered to me.

“I want you.”

This is how Harold let Anna Pascal know that he had feelings for her and this is how Mr. Husband let me know on September 2, 2003 parked in his black 3000GT at Jurupa park drinking coffee that he had feelings for me and that he wanted me to be his. "I want you."

Now, imagine me then, sitting in the dead of night watching this movie and hearing those words. There was no way that I wasn’t going to fall in love with this movie. For once I actually believed that Will Ferrell was capable of acting and not coming out with some joke of a movie.

If you haven’t watched this movie yet, I hope you now will. It truly is a great movie, Will Ferrell did an amazing job. 



No comments:

Post a Comment